The school has indoor and outdoor facilities for PE, sport and outdoor education. At St Ignatius, we believe that all children can find enjoyment and satisfaction from partaking in physical activity.
We offer a good range of sports within the curriculum, with this being supplemented by the offer of after-school sporting clubs and visits by local coaches and instructors. We work closely with St Wilfrids Catholic High School to help ensure the best possible provision is provided for our children.
Our aim at St Ignatius Catholic Primary School is to raise the profile of Physical Education so that it is viewed by all as a valid and very important aspect of the ‘whole curriculum’ and to provide high quality Physical Education and Sport which should always:
• Enable all children whatever their circumstances or ability, to take part in and enjoy PE and sport
• Promote young people’s health, safety and well being
• Enable all young people to improve and achieve in line with their age and potential. Through this we aim to ensure our children are committed to PE and sport and make them a central part of their lives both in and out of school
• Know and understand what they are trying to achieve and how to go about doing it
• Understand that PE and sport are an important part of a healthy, active lifestyle
• Have the confidence to get involved in PE and sport
• Have the skills and control that they need to take part in PE and sport
• Willingly take part in a range of competitive, creative and challenge-type activities, both as individuals and as part of a team or group
• Think about what they are doing and make appropriate decisions for themselves
• Enjoy PE, school and community sport
Pupils undertake a range of physical activities throughout the year. In addition to at least two sessions of PE, pupils have opportunities to take part in after school activities to develop their skills, maintain their fitness and to enjoy sport in a social context.
In Early Years, pupils spend time learning basic skills involved with travelling and using equipment, and improving hand-eye co-ordination.
Within Key Stages 1 & 2, pupils move around a series of activities, changing each half term. These include games (e.g netball, basketball, tag rugby and football), gymnastics activities, dance, athletics and bat and ball games (e.g cricket rounders) and Outdoor and Adventurous activities.
Children in Class 4 take part in swimming sessions at Ossett Academy. Swimming takes place throughout the school year.
Click the links below to see some of our recent activities. To see older entries, click on any activity, then use the small grey arrows at the bottom to navigate to older activities.